The Global Superstore Case
This page contains student files for the case "Modern Retail Analytics: Data Visualization Using Tableau," by Maxime Cohen, Daniel Guetta, and Matthieu Reed. It includes three detailed tutorials that can be used by instructors in the classroom to introduce students to Tableau in the context of retail strategy and operations (using the Global Superstore dataset that is made available with Tableau). We also wrote a homework assignment with detailed solutions.
We're making this case available free of charge to all instructors. Speaking for ourselves, we know that when we initially began using Tableau and downloaded the dataset, we felt it would provide a tremendous teaching opportunity, but we felt it didn't come with any "polished" resources we could easily distribute to students for use in a classroom. We hope this case study will fill that gap.
This page contains
- An introduction and backstory for the case, which introduces the Global Superstore dataset and the data in question.
- The version of the Global Superstore data used in the case (note that Tableau periodically updates the version of this dataset it distributes with the software, but the dataset provided here will match the storyline and tutorials below exactly).
- Three tutorials (tutorial A, tutorial B, and tutorial C) introducing various tableau features with increasing levels of complexity in the context of the storyline above.
- An assignment that can be given to students in conjunction with the case.
- Full solutions to the assignment (please email us together with proof of your instructional appointment for a password to this file).
We hope you find this case useful.
Looking for other case studies?
We have case studies on supply chain management and contracts with a review copy available here, data science in peer-to-peer lending, text analytics (part 1 and review copy, part 2 and review copy), and business analytics/python. Make sure you also check out XLKitLearn, a Python/Excel connector based on XLWings designed to teach data science.